Change happens when you participate in the legislative process. It only takes a few minutes to voice your concerns and make a difference. One way to participate is to submit testimony on bills when they are scheduled for a hearing. Here’s how you can submit testimony:
Chamber’s Legislative Action Alerts
Submit Online Testimony
- Click here to create an account on the Hawaii State Capitol website.
- After creating an account, search for the bill you want to testify for, and follow online steps to attach or write in your testimony.
- Submit testimony via the link provided on the e-version of the hearing notice.
- Fax testimony to the contact information provided on the hearing notice.
- Deliver the specific number of copies of written testimony to the appropriate office listed on the hearing notice.
Testify at Hearing
Nothing is more compelling than having businesses personally state their position to legislators. We can assist by contacting you when bills are scheduled, calling you if a hearing is running late or helping you prepare testimony.
- Prepare oral testimony in advance.
- Introduce yourself, briefly describe your business and state your position.
- Summarize your written testimony at the hearing.
- Be prepared for questions and if you don’t know the answer, just say so. You can get the information to committee members later. It is important to be honest and forthright.
- Express your feelings in a professional manner. Provide examples of how the bill will affect your business.
- Scheduled hearings may run late, so expect long waits.
- Generally, each chair follows the order of the bills listed on the agenda, and the order in which they received the written testimony.
Guidelines to Keep in Mind
- Written testimony should be submitted at least 24 hours prior to the hearing (if not within 24 hours, testimony will be considered LATE).
- Send a copy of your testimony to your own legislator and other legislators you may know.
- In your written testimony, include the following information:
- Chair of the House or Senate Committee
- Name of the House or Senate Committee
- Day and date of hearing
- Your name and company
- Position on the measure